LED Lightbox signs are the ultimate paradigm of advertising signs. We have all stopped to contemplate these striking electronic signs that try to capture our attention and convey their message in the middle of busy streets and busy roads. And of all the lightbox signs, the LED signs are a perfected version, using a light source that consumes 80% less than a fluorescent and lasts five times longer.
How do LED signs work?
LED is an acronym for light-emitting diode, a two-wire semiconductor light source that emits light when activated.
In LED signs, integrated electronic circuits and software send pulsing electronic signals to each LED, which activates and illuminates each bulb (corresponding to one pixel) within a base of bulbs that makes the width and length of the sign (LED display ). The screen resolution is determined by the number of pixels on the base. When the LED sign is programmed and turned on, each pixel lights independently and appears to slide along the sign. Actually, it is nothing more than a pixel (LED bulb) traditionally charging with electricity.
Using a computer, you can change the number of bulbs that light up to change messages. The color of the light emitted by the diode depends on the semiconductor used and can vary from ultraviolet to infrared, passing through the entire range of the visible spectrum.
What are the advantages of LED signs?
· Durability, especially when used in a suitable environment. That reverts to savings in future maintenance. This is especially important on a commercial sign, which is lit all day and often all night to get people's attention.
· Radically higher efficiency and much lower consumption than incandescent light signs (something that results in 80% less consumption). A good LED can produce up to 100 lumens of light per watt of electricity, while halogens produce around 10-15 lumens per watt.
· Lower heat production: traditional incandescent lights lose around 90% of their power in the heat output or, in other words, they only convert 10% of their energy into light. That is why it is less harmful to the environment because it contributes less to global warming.
· Less risk of fires is less heated and involves less ultraviolet and infrared radiation, especially compared to halogens.
· Faster lighting time than fluorescent lamps and less chance of deterioration due to on-off cycles.
· Faster warm-up time, it especially compared to fluorescent lamps. However, the warm-up time can be affected by the start-up time of some LED drivers or transformers, which is usually short, approximately one second.
· Greater resistance. The vibration does not usually break glass or damage filaments, as in other types of lighting.
· More respectful with the environment, as it lasts longer and therefore does not have to be replaced as frequently with a new one, as it emits less CO2 into the atmosphere and does not contain toxic materials, such as mercury vapor in fluorescent lamps.
· Color change. Some LEDs can be configured to dynamically change color.
LEDs, in short, are a suitable solution for intense and prolonged lighting needs, which require the lowest possible energy consumption at the highest possible power. And commercial signs are an example of this specific need for lighting.
What are the drawbacks of LED signs?
· Lighting equipment is more expensive compared to other types of lighting, although prices are falling.
· Not all LED bulbs are dimmable.
· Possible incompatibilityissues with regulators when upgrading bulbs. Still, the major manufacturers do many successful compatibility tests that minimize that risk.
· The quality and color of light can degrade over time, although that also happens with other types of light.
· Optimal performance requires strict specifications, good engineering, a good heat sink, and a stable power supply.
· Radio interference can lead to problems with LED lights. However, well-designed LED systems should not have this problem.
· Sometimes they have flickering problems, either due to incompatibility in the regulator or transformer or due to desynchronization of the sending of signals with the electricity spikes or other problems. Again, if the systems are well designed, the LEDs should not blink.
To avoid all these drawbacks, we recommend you order your LED lightbox signs from professionals such as SignFreaks. SignFreaks is the best-known signage company in Chicago. The team has delivered expceptional LED Light Box Signs Chicago. So, contact them and find out about solutions they offer for your business!